It's official! Our baby Daniel is now Costa Rican! They call them "ticos" here. Of course, he was born here, so it's automatic, but yesterday I waited for 1 1/2 hours in yet another long line at Immigration and received his CR passport. He can now legally eat rice and beans every meal for the rest of his life...
It's a cool passport -- it even has a laser-etched image of his picture to protect against some other baby impersonating him (but I'd know his poop anywhere). I was amazed at how it felt to receive it; I never thought a lot about his identity being tied to Costa Rica, but there it is right on the page: "Nacionalidad: Costarricense." He is as Costa Rican as the president here. I thought a lot about citizenship, what it means to be a U.S. Citizen (he'll officially be one of those sometime next week), what it means to belong to someplace...or someone. Daniel will forever be tied to this place and I hope that's always important to him. But we also hope that someday his citizenship in heaven is as clear as day to him, that he has that heavenly "passport" from his relationship with Jesus. And the cool thing is, it's already been paid for, and he doesn't even have to wait in line...
Tim
2 comments:
Congratulations to Daniel. Hope all is well, but you sound very excited and happy, so I think things are going well. I think of you all often. Love, Eileen
Tim-
I used to work the sharathon's at Star 88.3 when you were still there...
I am really enjoying following along on your families journey. The blog is great and your kiddos are adorable!!
May God Bless you as you bless others!!
Post a Comment